Thread: Official Austrian Grand Prix
View Single Post
Old 3 Jul 2023, 08:57 (Ref:4166480)   #50
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The race itself wasn't bad, just the plethora of penalties given and not given was ridiculous. It brings up the same old problem with the stewards and their lack of consistency.
To be fair to the stewards (revolutionary, I know) dealing with 1000 alleged incidents was an impossible overload. Unfortunately motor racing in general and F1 in particular have followed a long and slippery path to the present situation. Flat kerbs, extra kerb extensions of various colours and finally tarmac run-off have all been exploited by drivers without penalty. Now the FIA is trying to rein it all in, we arrive at the silly situation we had in Austria. Football, rugby, tennis and cricket all have a white line and a method for strictly judging whether a ball crossed it or not. But they don't have 20 balls in play at the same time, spread over a large area. Once the track designs are revised to automatically cause a driver a time loss for running a wheel off-track, the drivers will miraculously acquire the ability to stay on the track (most of the time). The only problem is finding the right change to the track design.