View Single Post
Old 13 Oct 2023, 11:52 (Ref:4181248)   #31
peterelise
Racer

peterelise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard C View Post
First, apologies for sounding confrontational in this reply. I am just being very frank.

You are technically correct. But it is clear that the cars are meant to drive within the boundaries of the circuit lines. Most curbing is right there at that boundary. The ability to go nearly four wheels off is a LARGE (2m width I believe) extra allowance given to drivers. It is frankly the most you can give before saying... "Yes, you are absolutely and without doubt no longer on the circuit by any possible definition". So to act as if using and going beyond (even if by a fraction) of that 2M buffer and getting a penalty is somehow outrageous or unfair is... frankly nuts. There has to be a line, and the line has been drawn exceedingly courteously in the drivers favor.

Richard
I don’t think I’ve complained anywhere that giving drivers a penalty for exceeding track limits is unfair or outrageous. My observation was that it isn’t surprising to me that they often exceed a track limit that they can’t see.

Your point seems to be that if the penalty was more severe they wouldn’t do it and I agree with this. As it is, the penalty already exceeds any benefit they get for ignoring the track limit. I could be wrong but I think during the race they get 3 warnings and then each successive offence is 5 seconds. Of course in qualy they lose the lap which has been a very heavy penalty.

In summary, I think the current penalty system is reasonable however a system that provided more timely advice of limit breaches would be beneficial.