View Single Post
Old 25 Jan 2024, 14:02 (Ref:4193311)   #1284
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffinpilot View Post
*Speculation!* (While waiting for announcements)

With this 'exodus' to PCCGB (rather than TCR UK) I wonder how many other BTCC drivers from last season have looked at that route. And who would suit it? Also, does anybody have figures for what a season costs?

Bobby Thompson? If he can't get the backing for BTCC or GT (after his recent test) then would Porsche be a viable option? He'd be a race winner at least.

Crees? He looked far better in a GT car than a Tin Top, and his Supercup experience would count well.

DeLeon. Certainly has the backing (apparently) and was far better in the Porsche GT3 Cup car than any FWD he's raced.

Edwards? I have an inkling that TCR might be her next step or the Porsche Sprint Series, but would it be worth her looking in that direction?

If some of those went and joined Lloyd/Butel/Jelley then it's also good for BTCC for two reasons. First it bring some real interest to a support championship from BTCC only fans (even more so than havng DanCam there in 2021) and would halt those drivers looking at TCR. I don't think TCR is a threat to BTCC right now. I don't really think (as much as I enjoy it) it's a viable alternative if a load of drivers head there, but three years from now it could be a viable alternative, and the BTCC can't afford that!

Like I stated - speculation to fill the time!
It'll be interesting to see if anyone on here has an estimate for the cost of PCCGB - I always thought it was comparable in cost to the BTCC given how expensive a Porsche 992 GT3 Cup car is, but for teams who own cars (or are borrowing/loaning from someone who does) it seems it must be cheaper.

Given the amount of announcements made for the series already (including in the past hour or so, the first Am entry of the year - the very experienced GT racer Lee Mowle at Team Parker Racing), PCCGB seems in good health across Pro and Pro-Am and potentially Am as well. Entries were strong last year although tailed off towards the end. I wouldn't be surprised if there are around 26 entries at Donington Park in April.

I'd imagine a few drivers from the BTCC and other series would look at PCCGB. PCCGB offered prize money for the top 3 in Pro and in Pro-Am at every race which if still the case in 2024 would no doubt an incentive. Plus the cars are fast and reliable, drivers and sponsors can still be part of the wider TOCA/BTCC family and all that brings, and it can act as a springboard to other racing in the UK or globally.
Porsche are adding the new Cayman GT4 RS to Sprint Challenge this year (with a Pro and Am class) alongside the old-spec Cayman (again with a Pro and Am class) so there is probably going to be additional interest there, and this revamp is probably a good jumping on point for drivers new to that championship. Their season doesn't start until Snetterton in late-May.