View Single Post
Old 3 Aug 2003, 14:43 (Ref:678665)   #22
LathamJohnP
Rookie

LathamJohnP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
recipe for fun:

- work out what combination of compromises you want (generally good road cars make **** track cars, and vice-versa).
- work out your budget, including towing (if applicable) and running costs (tyres, fuel, pads etc)
- go shopping

The things I've learned so far with my Caterham Fireblade:

- It's great having a car that's light on tyres and brakes. I'm on my first set of ACB-10 tyres, pads, and discs, after 5 very hard track days and a few road trips.
- It's great having a car with a cheap engine. If mine goes pop I can replace it for under a grand.
- My car is sublime on track (beautiful handling and very quick) but a bit **** on the road, other than the novelty value. I imagine SR3/XTR2 are even crapper on road, so why bother putting them through SVA and paying all that insurance.

Most importantly, disregard everything you read in the mainstream motoring press. Magazines can afford to trash other peoples cars, and are in the business of pushing the latest product. For instance, the Lotus 340R was hyped beyond belief, but costs a grand to change the battery as all the bodywork has to be removed and refitted by the factory. I can have a new engine for that. Consequently, I rank it totally **** as a track day proposition, especially since it wouldn't see which way a half-decent Caterham went.

Talk to owners who have done a lot of track days, and find out issues and likely running costs.

John