View Single Post
Old 19 Mar 2001, 21:23 (Ref:72855)   #1
Billy_Hunt
Racer

Billy_Hunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MICHAEL SCHUMACHER was blasted by Ferrari team-mate Rubens Barrichello after the German roared to his sixth straight Grand Prix win in rain-lashed Malaysia.

The Brazilian was furious with world champion Schumacher for overtaking him after Barrichello had radioed the team to suggest the duo maintain positions until the treacherous track improved.

He felt Schumacher did not play the game when he roared past on lap 12 as he tip-toed around the dangerous circuit.

Runner-up Barrichello, who is normally all smiles after a successful run, stood grim-faced on the podium.

And he refused to acknowledge record-breaker Schumacher, who became the only living driver to notch up six straight wins.

Barrichello said: "I was a bit sad. I told our technical director Ross Brawn I would be taking care because there were so many puddles on the track.

"I lost some momentum and Michael took his chance. I thought a team-mate would have stayed more composed.

"I probably wouldn't have won the race because I had to still make an extra pit-stop."

Later Barrichello told a group of Brazilians: "I would love to talk more about the situation but I have to see if the team will let me."

Brawn said: "It's no big deal and it WAS discussed. Rubens wasn't happy but the strength of the team is that we discuss these things.

"Maybe Michael could have waited and got by later on."

Schumacher said: "Rubens lost his momentum when he was held up by a Jordan and I saw no reason not to go for it.

"He knows we are equals and you have to fight for your positions."

Schumacher now has maximum points in his title defence despite an early scare when he slid off the circuit during the sudden downpour.

He added: "I thought my chances were finished when I lost control in the wet and the barrier was looming. Luckily I managed to avoid hitting anything and put it back on the track.

"This may have looked a comfortable win because we chose the right tyres but the rest of the races won't be as easy.

"It's nice to have another record but what really matters to me is how many races and championships you win — and how you win them."