View Single Post
Old 16 Apr 2001, 20:21 (Ref:81241)   #1
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Appologies for what will probably be a long rambling post and no doubt some of this will have been covered elsewhere, but just got home I thought I'd get my initially thoughts down.

Plato vs Thompson - The 2 couldn't have been seperated by more than a few 10ths all weekend. This is going to be one to watch. Muller was fastest, just, but not much in it and on a different day at a different track it could be anyones.

Peugeot - close but no cigar. Eaves lost a wheel during the morning warm-up and Soper had to pit during the sprint to check a loose wheel; something defibately not right. However give it a race or two and they'll be knocking on Vauxhall's door.

JSM Alfa - managed to finish one car in time for qual. Pinkney did more laps in the 1/2 hr morning warm up that the car had ever done previous. Engine went bang during sprint, managed a few laps in the feature, after starting 8 laps behind everyone else. Difficult to judge the true performance on that showing. (And that's one of the 5 engines used already)

ABG Lexus - had one car there but weren't able to get it finished in time to race. Car look very nice, plain black with white decals.

Phil Bennett - what can I say, the man's a star. I know there were those who thought he was only there to bring in the sponsor and make up the numbers (I was sort of one of them) but he did brilliantly in the feature. Outdragged Thompson at the start (those rolling starts in Spiders paid off), dropped back behind the Peugeot but fought back. Soper needed more than just his reputation to stay ahead. Ok, so maybe if the Peugeots were running at 100%.... but it's on the day that counts and a well deserved 3rd. On the podium he was grinning like man who'd just won a double rollover national lottery.

BTCT Sprint - reducing it to 10 mins rather than the full 20+ mins was a good move. 8 cars was a bit of a joke but get the Pugs up to speed, sort the Alfa out and add the Lexus and this could be interesting.

BTCP Sprint - a little strung out by the end but the first 2/3rd was a cracker. Pace cars, rollovers, crashes, overtaking, what more could you ask for.

Gavin Pyper - drove like a man possessed and at one stage was hassling Harrison for the lead of the sprint, surely that wasn't in the script. GA said they've done a lot of engine and it shows. The downside is he seemed to trash his tyres too quickly.

Tyres - wasn't just Pyper with tyre problems. By the end of the feature many of the field were struggling to find grip. can't see them doing Thruxton without a pitstop.

I'm sure I've forgotten something but that will do for now.