View Single Post
Old 27 Jan 2004, 22:35 (Ref:852963)   #5
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

Tony_Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is one long thread in National Forum, somewhere about ThunderSaloons, but I can not find it as yet. You need to look back a couple of months.

Those of you who can find the new Track and Race cars magazine there is a very good article in it describing the series.

There are a couple of Thundersaloon cars still racing today, and are maninly racing in the Formula Saloon series. Ric Wood has his 600bhp+ Calibra V8, Peter Thurston has recently bought Rod Birley's Honda Prelude and plans to compete, whilst Rob Compton (member racing59) has the Astra Belmont Class B Thundersaloon (upto 2.5 litres), but will be putting a V8 in it very soon. There is a picture of it in the National Forum under best looking car.

Another old car is believed to be the basis to of a Special GT car. Someone else has the ex V8 powered Toyota Supra, and is plannign to run with a 'normal' supra engine as a track day weapon. There are numerous cosworth powered cars out there in various other formulas, as well as a several being only used on track days. As well as Pete Stevens Sertec Carlton that must be being used for shows.

Its a shame that not more of them are out there racing as the Formula Saloon grid is the ideal place to run them. I guess it must be cost. But with at least 3 ex-thundersaloons out there it might just get a few more cars out to play. It would be great to see some more of them, and especially hear them

I did not see any Thundersports races, but from what I hear they were an awsome sight and sound, especially witht he lighter 2litres against the mad Can-am cars. Must have been fun in the wet and twisty tracks.