View Single Post
Old 2 Mar 2009, 14:40 (Ref:2407397)   #21
PenguinPunch
Rookie

PenguinPunch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great to see a few more entries confirmed. 7-12 entries would be good achievement with the way things are at the moment. Atleast you could have a race with those numbers. 4 was looking a bit scary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak View Post
I hope that the series stays strong as this is the most professional single seater series in OZ
I hope the series stays strong. It's a very good category and could play an important role in Australia's motorsport ladder. But I'd have to disagree with it being the most professional single seater series in OZ.

Formula Ford is obviously the leading/most professional open wheel category - considering it continues to produce drivers such as: Webber, Ambrose, Whincup, Marshall, Tander, Riccardo, Martin, Winterbottom, Bright, Richards, Coulthard, Besnard, Power, Will Davison, Alex Davison, James Davison, Reynolds, Ingall, Owen, Slade, Lowndes, McConville, Bargwanna, D'Alberto, etc

Personally I think Formula Ford will always be the 'leading' or strongest single seater category. Because of its history in Australia, it's well established, proven record of developing drivers, depth in professional teams, cars/teams can be run PROPERLY on a relatively small budget, it has the proven respect of 'V8 Supercar-Land', and it has the backing from the ford motor company (v8 support and good TV).

It is for these reasons that it always has strong numbers, even when the ecconomy is in the state that it is in now.

But Formula Three can and hopefully will one day be regarded as the next step after formula ford. If we could have a more structured route for drivers I think it could only be a good thing for Australian motorsport. eg Karting -> Formula Ford -> Formula Three -> then either British F3 or V8 Development Series.

There is of course a long way to go until this can happen, but F3 has been moving in the right direction for the last couple of years. Hopefully after this 'hiccup period' things will get back on-track in 2010-2011.