View Single Post
Old 24 Jul 2001, 16:58 (Ref:121164)   #18
Buonfornello
Rookie

Buonfornello should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Biondetti's Revenge?

It may be that I'm reading more emotion into the situation than was really involved, but Biondetti must have had some hard feelings towards Ferrari that caused him to assemble an English/Italian hybrid with which he might beat his former employer.After all, in 1948 Biondetti had given the fledgling Ferrari firm its most prestigious victory to date, in the Targa Florio, and the following year he had won the Targa, as well as the Mille Miglia for Maranello, only to find himself cut off thereafter as far as factory Ferrari drives were concerned.

Another veteran, Franco Cortese, who had given the Ferrari company its very first race victory (Rome GP, 1947) definitely felt neglected afterwards by Ferrari and he had also turned to British cars in seeking some revenge.I know for certain that Cortese won the 1951 Targa Florio in a Frazer Nash and it seems to me that Cortese was also drove an XK120 or 120C or Jag-engined hybrid(I'm not sure about this).

Another vague notion I have is that Jaguar running gear appearing in Italian tube-frame chassis were actually the direct inspiration for the 120C program, but I could very well be mistaken about that.

Last edited by Buonfornello; 24 Jul 2001 at 17:01.