View Single Post
Old 6 Oct 2017, 07:57 (Ref:3772260)   #179
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Does this clip change anyone's mind about the Stroll / Vettel incident?
No. As before, I believed it was 95% Vettel's fault. Almost looked deliberate. The speed difference!??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWMgk8UnqWE

There's a WILD story going around in the Japanese paddock.

Ferrari had short filled Vettel for the race (which was confirmed by Ferrari during the race). In his efforts to get to the front, and being pushed by the team to do so (Ferrari had told SV numerous times to "attack", "keep pushing"), SV had used up a lot of fuel. When Ferrari realised they might be in trouble, they asked SV to back off completely (there's was radio on this). But too late, SV's fuel gauge showed he had less than one litre left.
Then bang! Car is now too badly damaged to go to post race scrutineering. Then SV takes steering wheel with him (which is not allowed) to make sure fuel gauge cannot be read, and that the car will now have to come directly to the garage.

Crazy story indeed!! Too risky to pull of without possible further ramifications. But apparently a team (or two) have had a little word in the ear of the FiA about it. No investigation at this stage, and I highly doubt there will ever be one. Water under the bridge as far as the FiA is concerned. Nothing they can do about it now anyway!

Maybe the rules will be changed for the future where when a car that has crossed the finish line, but is then damaged beyond a drivable condition (how often does that happen??), it has to be returned to parc ferme first just as all the other driveable cars must do? If not, no points will be awarded.