View Single Post
Old 2 Jan 2007, 18:24 (Ref:1803848)   #13
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
Go onto a dual carriageway and you have similar conditions to a motorway.
IMHO, Dual Carriageways are more dangerous than motorways as you don't have the same acceleration/deceleration lanes and more categories of vehicles are allowed on them (eg. tractors). But that's offtopic...

On the subject of driving: what's needed is a split test. I said this when I was learning and stand by it, similar to what bella's suggesting.
First test is "basic" driving. Essentially the current test. After that you can drive on motorways only with supervision, and maybe even things like only driving at night with supervision or short journeys or whatever. A few months down the line, you take your full test to allow a complete licence. Thus ensuring that the new driver has the experience required.
You can then bring the "basic" test to 16 if you want, certainly a few ideas there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
where i learned to drive for example, it was a mad rush to get out of town to a stretch of dual carriageway 400 yards long, then belt round the roundabout, go round the other way and then head back into town. that was the size of the dual carriageway driving assessment
FWIW, my driving test didn't include any dual-carriageway driving. It was on some test routes, but my test was last one on a Friday. So (especially with school traffic) it was the shortest distance possible!