View Single Post
Old 21 Apr 2014, 17:58 (Ref:3396303)   #438
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
I disagree - I think LH has the head for it. I'm more dubious about NR - he's got exactly the same car, and has lost the last three races to his (team)mate, two of them in a straight fight. That's going to affect his head in some way.
But it was the same when they were karting together in the MBM team as teenagers. Hamilton tended to have a distinct edge, Rosberg always chasing him down.
Looking at rhe sector times and terminal speeds in China, Rosberg set fastest lap and sector times, and was faster in terminal speeds than Hamilton almost everywhere. Rosberg was certainly trying, no question about that, and there is very little between them in race craft although Hamilton is willing to risk more to keep his place than Rosberg is to take it off him, (on some occasions).

Hamilton had good sectors everywhere early on as he consolidated his lead but terminal speeds were never ultimately the highest. But then he never had to extend himself during the second half of the race when the cars were lighter. Hamilton may also have run a little more downforce, giving up terminal speed for the extra corner speed. In the second half of the race he was coasting toward the finish just consolidating his lead which is why he had the lowest consumption figures. Stats don't always give you the full story though.

Bottas had the highest terminal speed, started 7th, finished 7th, and used no fuel at all. A remarkable drive.

Last edited by Teretonga; 21 Apr 2014 at 18:04.