View Single Post
Old 26 Sep 2011, 22:18 (Ref:2961395)   #256
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
I decided to tally up the permanent road courses with long-standing stature, that are considered "up-to-snuff", and I did NOT include rovals in this either. For the US, this is what I get:
1. Laguna Seca
2. Lime Rock
3. Mid Ohio
4. Portland
5. Road America
6. Road Atlanta
7. Sears Point
8. Sebring
9. Watkins Glen

That isn't very many venues, and there are HUGE geographic gaps left when only taking these nine into account. If we include Canada, the total comes up to 11, with the addition of Mosport and Mont Tremblant.

I've already had several people on here shoot down VIR as an option. There's virtually NOTHING in this middle portion of the country as far as a good, permanent venue is concerned; Heatland Park and Hallett don't exactly cut it. The old Brainerd isn't up to standards, and the new, shorter course isn't a good layout. Bridgehampton is gone (turned into a golf course).

For where the series would want to go into a new area, there really isn't an option apart from a temporary circuit. Too bad Riverside is gone, leaving Long Beach as the only real option in Southern California.
Austin could be the "middle America" track that you are looking for. Ok, it is middle-South, but Mid-Ohio could be your middle-North track if that makes sense. Whether the ALMS can or will race at Austin is a whole different story.