View Single Post
Old 5 Jun 2012, 10:22 (Ref:3085520)   #537
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
No one is disputing that sponsorship dollars aren't valuable. But I have to disagree in terms of Le Mans when it comes to the marketing aspect. You have to go a long way back to find a fully-integrated sponsorship livery on a winning car at LM. Certainly back to maybe the Joest Porsches in 96/97.

You could argue that the '98 winner borrowed a lot from Mobil 1. Maybe not the full livery. Also you have the Total and Peugeot. They had the named title sponsor thing but they didn't slap Total over the entirety of the car. That's kind of what I'm talking about. I know you've got a lot of Audi dominance in there to skew things. BMW won in '99 without a title sponsor. The subliminal Malboro decals I'm sure suited Toyota just fine too.
Doesn't this all still tell more about the attractiveness of the race/sport than willingness to take sponsors?