View Single Post
Old 10 May 2006, 13:36 (Ref:1605099)   #9
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did actually work out that my entry to the V8 supercars at Snetterton worked out within pence to the same cost per minute as the BARC-SE Track & Race Cars.

However the running cost of cars varies from cheap to extortionate, and that has to be a factor in the cost of running in the 24hrs.

Take a production S1 car, something like a Honda Integra, and it'll probably do the 24hrs, the whole season of other races, and shrug it's shoulders and say "so what".
Then go for something like Adam Sharpe's Falcon. The engine will (should) require a rebuild after the 24hrs, as that's the typical life for a V8 of that spec.

I forget the figures quoted once for running a Ferrari, in terms of cost per track hour, it scared me to death!

It's horses for courses. You get what you pay for.....

Another example - drive in the V8 Supercars at this weekend's event on the EERC website for circa £2K. That's for 1hr of race time, total of 1hr 50mins of track time with qualifying and warm-up, not sure if included the 2hrs available for testing on Friday.

The entry fee is irrelevant in this case, as it'll only be a small figure compared to the running costs (fuel/brakes/tyres/engine/transmission/etc..)

Rob.