View Single Post
Old 8 Apr 2014, 06:58 (Ref:3390063)   #7
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i don't think anyone's viewed suspiciously if they don't prove themselves in gp2.
I think the OP meant (correct me if i'm wrong) that if they don't prove themselves immediately and move on.

The 'great' GP2 graduates I think of are the guys that go in for 1 year and blitz it (Hamilton, Hulkenberg etc). 3 of the last 4 champions are not what i would regard as 'mega-talents'. Maldonado, Valsecchi & Leimer, with all due respect, just seemed to hang around until the depth of field was low enough or that they had so much experience that they couldn't lose!

Anyway, I do watch most GP2 races. I keep an eye on all the junior formulae. I can't imagine, personally, being the person saying (and there were many) "Who's this Kevin Magnussen chap then?" as he stood on an F1 podium a few weeks ago.

The list of drivers in the OP are all very good racing drivers and I am delighted they have all found a berth in Sportscars. To the fickle world of F1 they are mostly labelled as either "crap" or "who?". That's their loss.

So yes, I think it's useful to keep an eye on the up-and-coming single-seater boys if you are a sportscar fan, especially as the trend is that more and more of them are now targeting sportscars.