View Single Post
Old 17 Apr 2012, 12:23 (Ref:3060888)   #1598
Simon S
Racer

England
Simon S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
I remember Lowndes saying the Audi hit 270kph down Conrod last year.
that sounds unrealistically slow to me?

last weekend (at the same meeting that the F3's were running) Neale Muston managed to be doing 277Km/h in his 997 cup car (and he was nothing like flat though the chase), I find it hard to believe that a current Audi R8 GT3 would be slower than this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON View Post
I was told by an F3 car preparer that the F3 cars were doing 245km/h down Conrod.

I would have thought that a good GT car would be a lot quicker than 255km/h down Conrod. Hell, i did that in an XU-1 Torana!
I agree, I would suggest an un-restricted 458 would be closer to 280-290Km/h.
from what I know of F3 cars of that age, typically ~155Mph is the terminal velocity (~248Km/h)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
Aero of course has a very significant contribution in terms of the straight line speed v laptime trade off.
Downforce=drag. (more or less)
F3 has greater downforce than GT3, which in turn has more than V8SC.
My thought was that the power/gearing/downforce/drag ballance of the Ferrari would have given it a far higher difference in speed trap readings than the 10kmh quoted.
Are there any sources of data available to demonstrate how much and why?
agreed, the figure given of 10Km/h I regard as tosh.

Hard to say without seeing the data, but I would be surprised if the F3 cars are not at terminal steed up the hill too (we were touching 240Km/h before turn 2 in the Lotus), and I am dam sure they are not having to brake anything like as hard as we do to make the turns.