View Single Post
Old 29 Mar 2016, 05:39 (Ref:3628275)   #6849
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Spyderman, where did you read about the Toyota guys sandbagging? I haven't seen anyone claim that. I have seen people say that Sarrazin set their best lap and he was or is their slowest driver. Not sure what to say about Audi. Imo they seem to have a few issues but will probably get over them. Porsche is still the car to beat until someone beats them.
I'm referring to the general tone of the discussions on the two threads mentioned. I also read the "Toyota" thing on a Facebook post that some one was quoting a source.
Again - Having looked very closely at the sector times, there is no doubt what-so-ever that Toyota has improved immensely. They had the furthest road to travel. They were very far behind last year, and also had to recover the 3-4 seconds lost due to fuel restriction. They have certainly done that, and deserve all the praise in the world. However, to go from there to insinuate that they were generally taking a stroll in the park (hyperbole being used to illustrate a point) during the prologue is silly. All competitors wanted to see where they stood in relation to the competition. That issue was not just the prerogative for Porsche.
Furthermore - I have no doubt that both Toyota and Audi will resolve what ever technical difficulties they are currently having, and will appear at Silverstone much more stable than during the prologue, and they will be strong by Le Mans. It's the nature of development.
Observation: I compared last years best sector times (across the 5 sessions) for Porsche with this years times. The high DF package has a tremendous effect in Sector 3 (fast corners) where they improved ~1.1 seconds , but they also lost ~ 1.1 seconds in Sector 2 (mistral).
I think it is clear why Porsche chose to test their high(er) DF package:
  1. They had not tested it before
  2. They wanted to test it for Silverstone.
It was not (IMO) to set any rocket times in the prologue. They were as committed ( or not) as any of the other two teams.
This week they are testing at Spa. The lower DF package will be used, no doubt.

Last edited by Spyderman; 29 Mar 2016 at 05:47.