View Single Post
Old 27 Apr 2010, 11:14 (Ref:2680429)   #23
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Were you monitoring the exhaust with a lambda sensor during the power runs and if so what A/F ratios were you seeing, particularly during the early 'lean' runs?
there could lay part of the issue, that rr uses a good old fashioned co machine, they take time to react, that final power run was curtailed early, so it could well of been that when the power run was aborted at 7k the co machine was still reading a richer midrange, had the motor been reved on further a weak mixture mich of been seen,

if you ask me and i saw the engine in the paddock with the head off, its failure was a combination of a top end weakness worse on some cylinders due to the variations in air corrector jet size, and lets not forget the gas analyiser only shows an average mixture so it could of beeb running dangerously lean on one or two cylinders and okish on the others and therefore wouldnt of showed up as being dangerously lean,

that coupled with slightly too advanced, lets remember rich mixtures burn slower so if the timing was set with the jetting rich, if it finished up too lean it would effectivly be over advanced even if the timing haddnt be touched again.

if it were mine i would just back the timing off a couple of degrees and install a set of 190-195airs, having checked the sizes with a jet gauge first!!!!!!

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!