View Single Post
Old 16 Dec 2007, 12:00 (Ref:2089886)   #20
callumw
Rookie

Scotland
London
callumw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I live near a school on a 30mph limit and if I drive past during the day I'll knock it down to 20 as I pass.
(I'm sure double parking is illegal.... esp for landrovers )

But when it's 2a.m., nothing about (suburbia) and freezing out - is it wrong to cruise past at 40?
Inappropriate speed is dangerous, but more than that, an unobservant driver is dangerous regardless of what speed they are doing.
That should be taken into account somehow if you were to be stopped for 'excessive' speed

One time I was in a 40 zone and overtaking some kids in a fizzy doing 30 or so. As I was 3/4 past they sped up so I had to bump the power to finish my maneuvre safely before an upcoming corner. As I got passed there was a Van in a sideroad .... and on went the blues
Cop pulled me and I explained what happened, but as I was "over the 40 limit" there followed some finger wagging.
He said that there was a council estate nearby and the teenagers often get drunk and could be staggering about by the road.
I tried not to laugh, but shouldn't that be dealt with rather than hassling me because I tried to overtake someone safely?
Treat the cause rather than the symptom?

I couldn't help but think there may be some Darwinian justice should my car get splattered with intoxicated burberry claret. As long as I didn't leave any tyremarks on the pavement
(yes I am joking ....)