View Single Post
Old 28 Nov 2006, 09:30 (Ref:1776457)   #7
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty
But I agree with what Max Mosley says - F1 needs "road relevant technology" the bishop rotary valves just look too complex to end up in a road car - alternative fuels and regenerative braking looks the way forward for a bit of green-ness in F1.......and no - Diesel will never be in F1 - I think they will end up with regenerative braking and bio fuel derived from sugar beet.
Complex? Seems to be about the same level of complexity as standard valves to me - certainly fewer moving parts. Yes, there are technical hurdles though.

Guy here at work came up with an interesting modification. Why not just have one rotary valve for each bank of cylinders. Problems with sealing in places, but an interesting thought. That's even simpler. Imagine using the concept of the overhead camshaft, but not having to activate any tappets, valves etc, just having to rotate it. You wouldn't need a rev limiter!!!

James
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.