View Single Post
Old 14 Nov 2007, 10:15 (Ref:2067164)   #14
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddockman
Time of day takes no presidence in this argument the School mentioned above may have one of these factors as well within that same 30mph zone.
may
My argument was very theoretical, that's why I said "unlikely". A combination of all the factors - road conditions, time of day, width of road, buildings in the area etc. etc. - is what should be used to calculate an appropriate speed.
Sometimes it's below the statutory maximum, but it's still the fastest you should travel at.
Sometimes it's above the statutory maximum - going above the speed limit in such situations is not 'dangerous' (although, it's still breaking the law!).

That's why I don't like cameras, all they'll see if people travelling above the speed limit. Travelling at 39mph in a 40 limit in the pouring rain outside a school at the end of the school-day, a couple of feet behind the car in front of you won't get caught by the camera, but it's infinitely more dangerous than travelling past it at 50 on a bright sunny Sunday morning (depending, as you rightly say, on the other factors that might be present)!