View Single Post
Old 30 Dec 2003, 03:56 (Ref:823202)   #13
Red Dog
Racer

Red Dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The most constructive advice and help that I got when building my car (clubmans) was from one of the really experienced old hands. You do need to check stuff in the blue book and the championship regs but it isn't a lot of help in showing you how to put a race car together.

The most critical things are getting the seating position, brakes, steering wheel gearchange and mirrors comfortable. Spend a lot of time on this, it really pays off. Get the seat as low as possible. After that get the safety stuff spot on. Sounds a bit naff but if you've rushed fitting your belts, it will play on your mind and you won't drive as well. The scrutineers will not necessarily pick up your mistakes. They do their best but they only have a few minutes, anyway you don't want that kind of panic before your first practice/race.

The other thing is that stuff comes loose. You need to put nylocs where you can, lockwire where you have to and loctite anywhere else (only the weak stuff)

Make a check list before you go out and tick everything off. You will not be ready for your first outing, but no-one is. It is really hard to get the car out there at all and you can't believe how fast the others are at first, but it is all worth it. If it all goes wrong don't worry, we've all been there. If it goes right you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

It is not even remotely similar to a track day. Even the track looks different - I kid you not! Best of luck.

A word of warning... if you get hooked you will sell your children into slavery to get back out there. Very addictive.