View Single Post
Old 5 Dec 2008, 20:34 (Ref:2348410)   #20
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't have any quantifiable data (because I have never written it down!)
The 18" Dunlop's that I run on my Thundersaloon are the same as they supply to GT teams, and that used to be used in British GT.

After three heat cycles, ie: three uses, they go off big time. 3 seconds a lap around Oulton Park.

Now those three heat cycles could be quite short, or quite long.

Bearing in mind, those tyres would survive 4 hours solid hard racing if need be, and be consistent over that period.

Take them out for a qually, a race, and another qually, and in the next race you'll be going backwards!

Ric Wood found that too with his Holden and his Calibra.

Now, moving on to Avon's. I did most of a season in ASCAR on one set of Avon's, and time wise, they were as quick when they were nearly through to the canvas as they were when they were new - doing low 37's new, and low 37's when knackered around Rockingham.

If anything, the Dunlops were great when brand new, the Avon's went through a "greasy squirmy" phase until they'd done about four or five laps.

The Avon's were also "abused", and often lived outside in all weathers.