View Single Post
Old 28 May 2008, 13:35 (Ref:2213910)   #440
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye
You're right about the V8, but I'm not sure I agree that it wouldn't work. The Viper makes about 510hp, according to Zakspeed. The GT500 make about 500 with air restrictors, which they wouldn't have to use at the Ring. And 4.5l means better fuel efficency than 6.2.
I didn't say it wouldn't work. I said it wouldn't be the best solution. It always seems to be beneficial to go with pretty much the highest displacement allowed by the class. Also gives you a lot of flexibility to configure your mapping for different power, torque or economy target figures.

Quote:
Besides, the GT-R isn't exactly light. I don't know if it would even be possible to get it down to the minimum weight for SP7, so SP8 might be a better option.
I'm pretty sure NISMO could do it. The topic was already touched on in some threads regarding a possible GT2, and my thought of line was that if Reiter managed to get the Murcielago, which hardly weighs any less, to 1100 kg, then NISMO probably wouldn't have much trouble getting the GT-R to 1100 kg in RWD spec or 1250 kg in AWD spec either.

Quote:
Don't think these would fit in the GT-R too well...and the RB26 would mean SP8 too
I wasn't being serious with those engines. I just named them because they are iconic Nissan engines. Yet, as iconic as they are, they are also outdated.

Quote:
That would be the Mosler problem all over again...
Not quite. For one, VLN rules for turbos have been notoriously instable from year to year. And then I always thought the times-1.7-rule and firm boost limit were kind of stupid. It'd be better to have a rule that assigns boost level limits by used displacement, which would allow a much broader application than just the 1.1/1.5 bar rule deciding by virtual displacement at 2800 ccm.

Quote:
Is it? I thought it's the one that was developed purely for racing and ended up in the M3 GTR as well (although that obviously saw some road car use later...though not by BMWs choice )
I think the Mader engine comes from a normal street block (E39 540i perhaps? Or some other near-4-liter V8). The BMW V8 as used in the BMW Motorsport/Schnitzer M3 GTR race car never found its way into private hands. BMW never gave those away and the engine was the reason there had been no customer racing program for the M3 GTR. The Scheid and Getrag/Abt/Mader engines are different from those. At least that's the way I understood it.

Quote:
I looked it up now. The rules don't say anything about the engine being used in road cars.
Actually the SuperGT rules do:
"Engine
◊Type and position of engine:
An engine that is produced by the original manufacture and is legal for road use and approved by FIA and/or JAF can be mounted. The mounting orientation, direction and location of the engine are without restriction provided the engine is situated within the engine compartment of the original vehicle."
The VLN rules for the SP classes speak of "serienmäßig" and "Serien-Block".

One would have to look at the allowed modifications then to assess whether a SuperGT engine could be used in a VLN car.