View Single Post
Old 12 Dec 2008, 12:55 (Ref:2353453)   #1
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What would you like to see at a historic festival?

Thinking back to the Coys Festivals at Silverstone, I think there was a much better mix of racing than there is at most meetings now. It may be that we have too many historic festivals (virtually every circuit has one) and there are not enough "interesting" cars/races to go round now. Quite a lot of meetings are now double headers with most races repeated on the Sunday. Thus there is less need to go both days - Saturday is best as the Sunday grids are often depleted with retirements.
Also the more modern F1 cars, and the Group C cars do seem to often have sparse grids and a high retirment rate, no doubt due to their greater complexity.
I seem to remember one of the HSCC run Silverstone Classics where there were lots of races for sixties single seaters - F1/F3/FJ/FF and my wife said that all the cars looked the same- which is reasonably true unless you are a real enthusiast. Not too inspiring for the spectator.
My ideal meeting would be: 1) Pre war single seaters; 2) prewar sports cars; 3) pre 60 single seaters; 4) pre 60 sports racers; 5) pre 70 GT, sports & LM cars; 6) CanAm/Orwell sports 7) pre 60 saloons; 8) pre 66 FIA App K sports cars. The last mainly so I can have a race!