View Single Post
Old 9 Jun 2012, 16:02 (Ref:3088053)   #2229
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
If the viewing figures don't pick when it is exclusively pay to view then how will sponsors justify remaining in the sport? I don't get it.

What does my head in is Bernie going "Sky has ten million subscribers, the Beeb only pulls in seven million audience" which is so misleading that it is, frankly, offensive.

But yeah, good old Bernie, he's on a windup lol etc...
I quite agree. Ten million subscribers, yet they are lucky to break one million viewers (10%) on average per race is hardly a bragging right IMO. The BBC have a potential audience of 30m (approx) with over 24,877,070 TV licenses presently issued in the UK, yet Bernie has not used this to congratulate them for their outreach. I appreciate the BBC attract a fair amount of casual viewers and channel flickers but this is still an important audience for sponsors and keeping the sport in the public eye.

If F1 goes completely on the PPV TV, then sponsors relying on the British market will either reduce their investment, or teams will look for sponsors from further a field. Vodafone, and Santander to name just two rely heavily on the British market for example and both pay obscene amounts of money to be involved and are not ging to be interested in barely a million viewers tuning in for each race. This may be just Bernies way of winding up fans (something he enjoys doing) as I can't see PPV being a realistic option to one of the largest audiences in Europe.