View Single Post
Old 2 May 2010, 05:32 (Ref:2682989)   #102
Road America Fan
Rookie

United States
Road America Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagtechOhio View Post
It surprised me that there was any differential in speed at all, since the cars are identical and the setup characteristics should be well established
That's why it is up to the driver to maximize what he/she can do with the tools they are provided with. The cars are equal but the drivers are not. Dixon is a smooth driver who can maximize the use of the car while a driver like Paul tracy can chrome horn his way to a solid finish and totally waste all of the logical resources of the same car. Two totally different driving styles that have both produced results in many races over the years.

Now I'm gonna date myself unfortunately, but back in the 90's Willy T. Ribbs was attempting to qualify for the Indy 500 in some kind of joint effort with Paul Newman and Bill Cosby. He was falling way short of a respectable lap time and blaming the car setup. Later that same day Mario Andretti (also part of Newman's Team) took the same car out with the exact same (untouched) setup and placed a top 5 lap time for that day.

My point is you either have it or you don't. Danica is out of excuses.