View Single Post
Old 31 Dec 2009, 13:29 (Ref:2606770)   #18
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mine has a full size hole and a half size wheel, which I'm planning to change for a full size one when I can find one, for a number of reasons:

It becomes part of the replacement strategy. It has a new tyre, you replace one old one and put the spare on so you have two new tyres and one worn one as spare. At a convenient time, you put a new one on the spare.
Not sure if I can run with a space saver while towing the caravan.
If I need to use the small wheel, I'm forced to get a replacement quickly. That's not always possible (although acknowledging that the alternative is no spare if it's flat).

Newer models have run-flat tyres, but they're limited to 50miles or similar meaning you have to break your journey to get a replacement quickly. On the other hand it does cover the (unlikely) eventuality of two punctures. I did once lose 6 inches of the sidewall of my wife's car after running over something on the motorway. Not sure how they'd cope with that.