View Single Post
Old 18 Apr 2012, 20:26 (Ref:3061681)   #40
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think what is mainly in crisis is elite British single seater series, Europe is doing ok considering the financial climate. In my opinion the reason British series are suffering is only because they vainly try to compete with their European equivelants. The reality is that they can not and they should not if they want to survive. In the past I have explained that for EU residents a FR Euroseries budget is by definition whatever the VAT is in UK cheaper than a FR-UK budget. Even if circuit quality and promotional package were the same (and they are obviously not), difference in money is way too significant. Similar for BF3, this obsession with staying within FIA rules is killing it. Formula Ford is another obsession, with tradition this time, which unlikely to even attrack a European karting star.

But that doesn't mean British single seaters series don't have a purpose, far from it. Judging by BARC grids all it takes is to go down in spec (and down in price) and of course the grid will fill up. This is Britain we are talking about, with so many kids in karting wanting to move up. Just do what Germans did with their national F3 series and this grid will fill up too. Go with TOCA (yes, even as support) to have TV, do away with the crazy engines and freeze the car spec to standard out of Dallara factory 312s. Also do away with Fords and either promote Intersteps or do a FFSA Formula Academy like series. Something cheap and relevant for the next step (BARC).