View Single Post
Old 8 Jan 2008, 11:57 (Ref:2101774)   #55
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Race 12 - Historic FF2000

I've added Historic to the heading because they truly are and it's a sobering thought that the youngest car on the grid was 25 years old. This has the potential to be a great series. The racing is close and it was here. There were some great dices throughout, and none more so than at the front. However, there was too much contact, and I have to say that from where I was standing it was as much to do with overly defensive driving as any over ambitious overtaking moves. This needs to be dealt with firmly early on, so that we get the sort of clean racing we see in most of the other historic single seater racing.

A monumental dice for the lead between Mike Gardner (Reynard SF79) and Erik Pagano (Van Diemen RF82) ended on lap 10 with contact, both limping back to the pits to retire. This is Pagano showing the results:-

The battle for last place was pretty intense, too. Here Lou Watts (27 - Reynard SF78 - 20th) holds off Terry Swinson (23 - SF79 - 21st) with Luke Dimsdale (Van Diemen RF78) tucked in behind. In fact Dimsdale had been ahead of these two but spun at this point a lap or so earlier. He later retired on lap 11:-

Another big dice was between Lawrence Denne (97 - RF82) and Clive Wood (50 - RF82) which turned into a battle for the lead with the demise of Pagano and Gardner. The race was resolved in favour of Wood, who put in fastest race lap, when Denne suffered a last lap drama and was unclassified at the end:-

And yet another battle, and this time both finished. Andy Huxtable (5 - RF83)
stayed just this much ahead of David Flory (7 - RF81) to finish 2nd just 2.1 seconds behind Wood, so we had a Van Diemen 1,2,3:-

Last edited by John Turner; 8 Jan 2008 at 12:00.