View Single Post
Old 3 Mar 2012, 20:12 (Ref:3034623)   #10
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a nice AMP crimp tool that will do these, have had it for years, and it was about NZ$1000 (about £500) from memory! That said, the terminals for the Anderson plugs can be soldered on quite easily. Grab the terminal in a pair of pliers,open end up, heat it up with a small flame (I have even used a heat gun for this) and fill about 3/4 full with resin core solder until you have a nice little "cauldron" of molten solder. . Keep the heat on, and dunk the cable into the molten solder. You have to be reasonably quick, and cool the cable in water, so the solder does not travel up the wire and make it hard. I use this method when putting smallish cables into the large terminals, which won't crimp down far enough. Finish with a piece of adhesive lined heatshrink.

If you try crimping these with anything other than a proper crimp tool, they have a tendency to pull out. And sure as anything it will be when you are lined up on the dummy grid, the car battery is flat, and the cars are all leaving to head out on the track!