View Single Post
Old 10 Jun 2003, 00:06 (Ref:626611)   #10
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While I think it is a good thing for the development of stickier and faster tyres, I tend to agree with neilap that the tyre manufactures will favor the top teams and build their tyres more around the likes of Ferrari, McLaren, Williams and perhaps Renault now.

Michelin is really putting the pressure on Bridgestone as they supply three of these top four teams. Bridgestone only really has Ferrari as a team that can consistently challenge for wins and podiums so it is pretty obvious most of their focus will be on them.

Above all else the tyre manufacturer wants to provide the rubber for the CHAMPIONSHIP team, I mean honestly who cares who supplied 2nd and 3rd??? In this respect a tyre war will always favor the top teams, Bridgestone (Ferrari) and Michelin (most likely McLaren now above others).
This is too bad, as neilap was saying, because it hinders the development of mid field teams like BAR, forcing them to design their car around what they expect the top teams cars to be like. And yes I think it prevents unique and revolutionary designs, from the mid-field teams anyway.

However wasn't a rule passed last year that tyre companies may develope different tyres for different teams? As the problem for Michelin last year was that they had to compromise between McLaren and Williams in developing their compounds, which slowed both cars down while Bridgestone simply produced compounds ideal for the Ferrari.
Even if this rule was passed I still cannot see either manufacturer really giving each team an equal amount of consideration. Like I said they only care about supplying the team that wins the championship so their focus will always be on the top teams.

So a tyre war is most likely a good thing for the top teams while the mid-field and back markers would probably prefer that all teams were on the same rubber.

Last edited by TeddyG; 10 Jun 2003 at 00:12.
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.