View Single Post
Old 30 Apr 2010, 00:02 (Ref:2681968)   #22
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll second what Gordon has said above. You can spend as much as you like on this game - and then some! But remember that, unless you are the next Senna, then it's just a hobby, and as such, you're supposed to enjoy it - which you will as long as you approach it with the right attitude.

The fact is, you don't have to spend a fortune to be competitive - I probably spend less on it over a year than the guy who goes out smoking/drinking and getting ****ed every Friday night. Nothing against smoking and drinking, just demonstrating that if you get your priorities right, you can probably afford it.

Of course, it will seem expensive initially as you've got quite a few one-off expenses - ARDS test, overalls, helmet, etc, but I reckon a grand will cover the lot if you spend wisely, and once it's done, it's done, and you won't have to suffer those expenses again for a few years.

And if you happen to be any good, it'll all be worth it when you realise you've just finished ahead of a handful of cars that you know have cost maybe 10 times what you paid for yours! As Gordon said, the challenge is to beat the 'open cheque book brigade', and it's sooooo satisfying if you can!