View Single Post
Old 2 Apr 2010, 07:36 (Ref:2665261)   #568
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the turbo four cyl: here's all I can cite for sure. Ryhs Millen had a 500HP+ GM Ecotec in his 2006 Formula Drift car.

The MZR-R used in ALMS is a 500HP+ MZR-R, and that is in endurance race tune.

I have read that the Toyota 2ZZ-GE is capable of 500HP+ when built.

But the specificity you ask for, that's dyno room time and equivalency formulation.

The way I would do it is this: every prominent racing engine builder would be getting an invitation. On Oct.1, 2010, there will be an engine summit at DynoTech Engineering in Fort Wayne, Indiana. This would not be a "rountable discussion", although it would be supervised by IICS and attended by team principals.

Build any engine you choose, 2.3 liters or less. Minimum output 575HP, specified fuel ethanol, projected service interval 2,000 miles minimum.
Full blueprint specs and cost analysis required, along with an estimate of production volume capabilities.

And you bolt each one on the dyno, run it at wide open throttle for two hours, and see who brung what.

An existing supplier like AER would be able to lease engines to a number of teams, of sell a number of engines outright. Perhaps Ilmor, Cosworth or Menard (MCT) submits an entry. Perhaps Revolution Engines in California brings one of their Ecotec midget racing engines, turbocharged, to enter in the competition.

Exactly what is available, what reliable power output can be achieved, and what equivalency would be required is unknown. With Honda as the only current supplier and no other manufacturers apparently involved in the discussions, this is a plan to examine and develop alternatives.

That's the best I have come up with so far.

Last edited by JagtechOhio; 2 Apr 2010 at 07:45.