View Single Post
Old 18 Oct 2012, 16:23 (Ref:3153917)   #14
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i'm split on these sorts of things. on the one hand, i think it's good that women taking part in very high level activities in motorsport is publicised, to show young girls that it IS possible and they're perfectly entitled to aspire to the same things as the male competitors and workers.

on the other hand i think it's almost negative to be making a special case of high achieving women (however they've got there) because it makes it seem special and amazing that a woman dares to or can even manage to haul herself up to compete with a man. and that's the wrong impression to be giving everyone, men and women.

i don't really care about how or why she's doing the work in the car - all of everything in life is about who you know. especially employment, and even more especially motorsport. but it's still pretty cool when a driver of any gender or race gets to achieve one of their lifes ambitions. so congratulations to her in that respect.
I find it funny that the politically correct crowd out there in society on one hand mouths that we are a sexless society where everyone is completely equal, yet they are the most obsessed with making a big drama pointing out all of the differences between sexes.

In my politically incorrect opinion, men and women are built differently, for different reasons. We are not the same and never will be. Other than a small percentile of each sex, we don't act the same, communicate the same, think the same or have similar physical characteristics. I don't believe on the whole that there will ever be as many women interested in motorsports, cars or driving, compared to men. Nor are there many women who could ever reach the fitness and strength required to be winners in motorsport.

So the numbers are never going to be there when it comes to motorsport, but I think everyone should compete on their own merits and abilities, regardless of sex, race, physical issues, etc.

All this stuff about how we should put Susie on a pedestal for girls so that girls can aspire to have daddy or hubby to write a big check so they can flog around at the back of the DTM field, is nonsense. "Yes girls, you too can get your team owner husband to get you an F1 test drive. All it takes is a little bit of manipulation and drama and marrying the right rich guy and it will all be yours as well."

So let women out there if they want to compete and make it happen, let em have it without offering special considerations, programs, idols or to try to drive women to do things just because men do them, as though that makes it all equal.

You know one driver I do appreciate is Kat Legge. She didn't make a big drama about her sex, she went out there and knocked on doors and then did the best she could with the opportunities she developed. She didn't splay herself on a car in a bikini for the lads mags or hook onto a man to pay for her ambitions.