View Single Post
Old 17 Apr 2014, 07:29 (Ref:3393723)   #13
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
I think the "global" FIA engine was a good move to limit future costs, but so far only 1 manufacturer has actually crossed over from WRC to WTCC and the engine spec is not being picked up by any other series.
Both the Citroën and Ford engines were based of the WRC engines. They had to be reworked extensively, but still. And the other way around the BMW lump was the base for the Mini WRC engine if I'm not mistaken.

Quote:
In my opinion, what super touring proved, is that the formula doesn't have to be rediculously complex to succeed. The earlier years were just a road car set up as a racer with no aero. If some standardised suspension components were used with subframes the teams must use it would help introduce some level of parity and keep costs to a minimum. The cars don't need stupid aero, wide guards, or any of those other gimmicky bells and whistles. Just a simple touring car that can be build to go quick without massive cost, and that provides great racing.

It can't be that hard, surely?
What worked in the nineties doesn't necessarily work anymore now. The expectations from the viewers have changed, big wings and bodykits are expected. What you're describing would appeal to the hard-core fans who still remember the good ole nineties, but wouldn't work in todays marketing.