View Single Post
Old 14 Mar 2006, 21:40 (Ref:1548958)   #14
Tim 27
Racer

England
March,Cambs
Tim 27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like Chunterer, F3000 (along with FF1600) was always my favourite Formula.
Unfortunately I only made it to Birmingham for the 1990 race.
In no particular order, here are some of my memories from that weekend:
Walking the course on Saturday and being blown away by the noise and how close you could get to the cars at full speed.(Especially next to the mosque)!
Sleeping in my car in a concrete car park!
Russ Swift practising his act in the same car park!
The brilliant atmosphere in Pizza Hut on the Saturday night!

Your pictures certainly brought back some memories Big Ears.
In one of them I can see the grass bank I sat on all of Sunday at the hairpin.
Stephane Proulx ( who sadly many years later died of an AIDS related illness), went straight on during the race, and with an enormous thump managed to shift about six layers of tyres back by about six feet!
From my vantage point I could see a huge TV screen, so keeping track of the races was easy. Mind you, my vantage point was nowhere near as good as many of the locals hanging off their balconies in their high rise flats! From there I also witnessed Van Der Poele's victory donuts.( He would have been banned and fined today)!

Although not a Touring Car fan, I remember the BTCC and TVR Tuscan races were quite entralling.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember watching the Belgian GP highlights in a hotel foyer after the meeting? Phillipe Streiff and Jonathan Palmer having a big shunt in their Tyrrells on the first lap?

All in all, a fantastic weekend, only spoilt by the fact I had missed the previous four!