View Single Post
Old 21 Aug 2012, 19:54 (Ref:3122693)   #2748
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
You wanna know how to get new fans? Look at Global Rally Cross - they have managed in 2 years what Grand Am has failed to do in 15 - people stay for it after the NASCAR races.

And why does it work? Because it's action packed and it caters to todays ADD-culture. The whole "race weekend" fits into a 90 minute block of a quick practise, some heat races and some kind of final, with ultra short races of only 10 minutes or less on very short circuits.

Do the same with GT-cars and you have a smash hit with the Playstation Generation - they already know the cars, put them into the right package and they'll be hooked.

But you'd probably lose the traditional fans in the process - I'll leave it to you to decide if that would be a good trade off.
Just off the top of my head, I don't think Global Rally Cross model would do much to increase the fanbase of sports car racing. While I have actually seen Global Rally Cross promotion outside of the motorsport world, the ad was paid for by Texas Motor Speedway.

I think the way to go is to continue trying to build "events" in the stature of Petit Le Mans, Sebring, Daytona, and so forth. They bring out significant crowds and given the product (Ferraris, Porsches, Patron etc.) the small television and digital impact they have is significant amongst key demographics for certain "up-market" products.

Certainly racing is down at the moment, and you want to find ways to create growth again and avoid the peaks and troughs that sports car racing in particular is subject to. I think sports car racing has a lot to learn from NASCAR, but racing gimmicks are not it. The public eats up multi-day festivals, street parties and such so a racing product that is attractive to all the senses and is easily accessible.

Chris