View Single Post
Old 14 Jan 2005, 15:08 (Ref:1200939)   #61
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen
That just doesn't follow - the whole aerodynamic package is totally different year-on-year. Plus, in any case, running more wing promotes slipstreaming.

If you fancy wide cars because you think they look better or because you hanker after the "good old days", then fine - but it simply isn't accurate to say that wide cars=better racing - the causes are far, far more involved than that!
I don't think so Glen.
When the cars for 1998 were being tested I read an article which had an interview with Pat Symmonds that the teams could now afford to run far more wing at all tracks as the cars were narrower therefore created less drag. They also had to run more wing as they lost grip from having the grooved tyres, so they ran more wing to compensate for the loss of mechanical grip.

I'll try and find the Pat Symmonds Autosport article I have from Jan 1998 or so...

Last edited by Sodemo; 14 Jan 2005 at 15:10.