View Single Post
Old 28 Feb 2012, 10:35 (Ref:3032354)   #1395
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Really can't understand some of the dirt that gets dished here. Why?
Was a superb event limited only by the lack of numbers starting. Don't think anyone performed below the top of their ability and some well above it!
Some people not mentioned here who had a great day.
Nathan Tinkler had a little excursion when the rain first hit, but came back later with a very good sensible spell that cemented the Porsche in third. By the way I could use his diet tips he is looking trim and terrific. How about dumping NRL and A league Nathan and getting more involved in something you obviously enjoy doing?
The SEAT lost something like 30 laps bolting on a new turbo but came back to encourage my faith in diesels. To see it outbrake the Commodore into Hell, then use the torque to outdrag the big V8 for the first couple of hundred meters up Mountain Straight made my day.
Scudd must be disappointed with his day, but to lead at one time versus the "factory teams" and have the car involved in the early dice must be something to look back on in planning the future for that lovely JBS Lambo. Nice chatting with you mate.
By the way, the cameras and the commentary missed it but Mr Baird had the quickest 360 out of the chase and almost under the bridge that I have ever seen. Didn't touch a thing and picked it up like it had never happened.
Deep discussion amongst our geriatric group on the Mercs. Final conclusion was that it was built from parts left over in the European Mopar bin after Daimler parted from Chrysler. Sounds like a Hemi, looks a bit like a Viper, and points and squirts about the same way. Certainly more reliable though and styops just great. Hats off to Tim Slade who put in some grate laps in it.
Don't know if any official, or reliable crowd figures will be released but there were certainly a lot of people in the camping area. The comment about Audi booking the stands for the flag waving pose might have been right but I thik the two long blondes they had handing out the flags could have attacted a crowd anywhere.
The Kiwis did a real professional job in organising a supporters tour group, and in spite of a few niggles during the day thay aquited themself very well. Well earned steak at the Panthers after the event.
Please can I ask that everybody puts their ego away and starts planning now it must be possible to put together a 50 plus car field for next year. And while I have been an apologist for the Production guys not showing the Astra, the Dean Herridge WRX and the SEAT and BMWs all contributed to what was a great event. A couple of well driven EVOs could have finished well up the order on a day like that. Check the La Nina forecast for next year.
Having said that let's have a little effort on the part of the organisers to get the lead up info out, a bit of pre event advertising and PR and work the press reeleases after the event better. Reading the Monday Tele the event did not even get a mention in the sporting results section!