View Single Post
Old 10 Aug 2004, 22:16 (Ref:1062604)   #15
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Hi Steve, thanks for the input I will check out those sites.

The cars were imported for the original ASCAR series (not the current one that stole the name)which was formulated for American V8's but never really took off. As I understand it and I have never actually spoke with the man, but Brian Rice supplied some engine parts (Heads or valves?) to Traco Engineering which is how he must have got to know about the cars. The thing is I don't think there are any of these left apart from the two that IROC own, I may be wrong but they told me about a year ago the one they renovated was on display at the Dale Earnhardt Memorial exhibition at the Corvette museum and I think it was going from there to the Talladaga Speedway Museum but I may be wrong. I think they said they had another in bits I can't remember. Theirs has the wrong wheels when on display at Daytona (I will post a picture if I remember tomorrow as I have it in my shop), it should have had Norriss Industries eheels which mine has but they put alloys on it. They also told me the rest of the cars went to some NASCAR school of racing and as far as they knew had all expired but I cannot confirm this. I have found people on the net claiming to have the earlier models in various forms but have never seen one of the Banjo Matthews cars. Maybe it was just too easy to put a late model body on to the chassis and race it as a different model car who knows, I know some of the 3rd Gen were converted by IROC into Dodge Daytona's I believe.