View Single Post
Old 8 Jul 2010, 02:58 (Ref:2723344)   #25
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
356, the Ullman Straight at Sebring is 0.595 of a mile, which translates to 3,142ft; remember, Sebring's start/finish straight is only 2,000ft if you want to visually compare.

The track layout at Miller is actually pretty open up until that first hairpin turn (Turn 5); Turn 1 is in 3rd for LMPs, and Turns 2-4 are taken in 4th and 5th gears. The perimeter course, which is what the ALMS now uses, has 14 corners basically. The trouble with the rest of the lap is that the "straights" from Turns 6-8, 10-11, and 11-12 aren't that long, and that none of those remaining turns, apart from the flat-out, right-hander at Turn 7, are particularly fast.

If it were me, I would loosen up "the Attitudes" as they're called (the turn 8-10 esse) and the following corner, with a straight a little further out between them. As for the full course, I would make the changes just stated, and change those two bends at the end of the infield straight to create one long curve that gets more of the turning done a bit sooner. This would be better for the racing and for overtaking into what is currently Turn 13 (the left-hander) on the full course.