View Single Post
Old 16 Feb 2005, 14:02 (Ref:1227220)   #19
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roninho
What is high profile of this serie? And again how are they going to make money? Not trying to bully you, but apart from the influence of a very wealthy man if have not heard anything that set them apart from Superfund or the World Series. Those series cannot sell their TV rights to a good party (but have to pay for it to get decent ratings). Sky sports is probably payed for, and apart from Football also has dreadfull ratings.

I understand that the Sheik can run it forever, but what if he decides to call it quits after year 2?
The profile will only be high if they get some really top shelf, big name drivers, team managers and team members IMO. If they are a bunch of no names, than it may not sell, at least not here in America, where we already have 2 open wheel series, with to many drivers nobodies ever heard of, and they're both struggling. High profile drivers will make for a high profile series.

TV will be important to them for sure. If TV pays the series to air it, than that would be a good revenue source. I can see Speed Channel paying for it, because there programming in the off season is pretty bad in general. We'll also have to see how they draw in fans to the races, and if the tracks will pay to have the series run there.

It all sounds good so far, but as KB says, time will tell...

Danica Patrick