View Single Post
Old 12 Jun 2010, 11:48 (Ref:2709702)   #528
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
I can already see this thing having bigger engines in P2, as it looks right now anyway, backfiring in terms of NOT producing the relative pace of P1 and P2 that the ACO is looking for. Looks like P675/P2 haven't hammered the message home.

I also did some basic calculations. Based on the power figures for current, top P2s that have been discussed (figures that are somewhat higher than the official numbers), unless drag is significantly reduced, the power drop from ~575hp down to the proposed 420hp drops practical top speed for P2s from 291km/h (fastest I've seen for any P2 car this year) down to 249km/h. And we think the GT2 guys have something to complain about with the current class structure.

Also, without significant drag reductions, if P1s drop from a maximum of ~750hp down to the proposed 520hp level, their top-end speed would drop from 348km/h down to 290km/h.

With the new P2s at 900kg, but with these amended engine capacity rules, they should just leave P1 alone the way things appear to stand now.
With the power reduction there will be a new emphasis on reducing drag in the bespoke chassis that will emerge. You couldn't stay on the current design tact and produce a successful car. So reducing power is a pretty good way to bring downforce along with it as there simply won't be the power to drag that through the air.