View Single Post
Old 12 Jan 2008, 10:25 (Ref:2104641)   #57
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Race 14 - Haggis Trophy

A 12 lap race for Clubmans cars, and inevitably a large number of Mallocks in this field; 12 out of the 20 starters in fact but since they were of different ages and shapes the grid looked varied particularly as there were also some decidely interesting shapes amongst the remainder.

Opening laps were pretty close,if I recall correctly, with a number of challengers for the top position. But after a bit of jockeying for position and moments from one or two of them, it was Mark Charteris who emerged victorious in his Mallock Mk20B by 6 seconds from the Phantom P79 of Steve Chaplin. However, I believe it was Peter Harper, who eventually finished 3rd, who posed the strongest challenge to Charteris in the Connaught U2 Mk20B. Here he is chasing Charteris. However, he spun it at this point a lap or two later and just failed to catch Chaplin on the line for 2nd. The frontrunners were really trying since none were totally error free and Harper posted best lap of the race at 58.350 seconds, an average of 101.12 Mph; these cars are quick!:-

Unfortunately, Jared Wood failed to complete the final lap in his Batten Mk1:-

Arthur Dickens (58 - Mallock Mk 29 - 14th) failed to hold 'Sideshow' Bob (19) in his Davis T8 at bay, since the latter finished 13th, clear by 6 seconds:-

A legend in his own lifetime driving the old Mallock U2 Mk11B, a car that I have seen many times over the years, in either his or Michael's hands. Ray Mallock was one of the frontrunners briefly, but an early spin (I think) left him down the pack and he spent the rest of the race having to work his way forward. He finished 5th, but even without his 'moment', his best lap time suggests that 4th, barring mistakes by the others, was the best he could have hoped for:-

Last edited by John Turner; 12 Jan 2008 at 10:29.