View Single Post
Old 16 May 2001, 23:29 (Ref:93419)   #8
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've seen that glint in your eye, Bluebottle. It's only a matter of time before there's another Landie in the family. Just as soon as Baby Bottle is old enough to wield a spanner and a torque wrench.

Cars I should have kept? Well, they might not have been much to look at, but I sorely miss

"The Clockwork Orange" - a 1972 Hillman Avenger (that's a Plymouth Cricket if you're in the US). Marlboro McLaren blaze orange in colour, with a clattering timing chain, never was a car better christened.

"Samson the Beast" - a 1971 Volkswagen 1600TL Type 3 Fastback. A joyously tail-happy car which taught me everything I needed to know about oversteer and carburettor balancing.

"The Guv'nor" - a 1973 Rover 2000TC P6. Faster than it deserved to be, and with such a sumptuous ride and interior. In royal blue, it was just like the old police machines you see in re-runs of The Sweeney.

"The Aircraft Carrier" - a 1969 Ford Zodiac V6. Quite the worst car I have ever owned. It was unreliable, it wouldn't steer, it handled abysmally, it chewed up a set of front tyres in 5000 miles, the aerodynamics gave it tangible negative downforce (i.e. LIFT!) at the front end over 60mph, had a steering column gear shift which was truly frightening in its vagueness and I once managed to do an entire 15 mile trip without noticing that the weedy handbrake was on. God, I loved that car!