View Single Post
Old 12 Jul 2010, 19:51 (Ref:2725668)   #89
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
Excellent race in LMP with Highcroft winning because of their fuel eceonomy it seems.

I do not claim to be an expert in LMP or the adjusted ALMS LPM class so can anyone give me a bit of info on the comparison between the Highcroft and the Drayson Lola. As I understood it the two cars are an LMP2 and LMP1 respectively in their original guise so what was the original difference and how has that been adjusted please?

Am I right in thinking the Highcroft is a Wirth designed car?
The adjustments IMHO are fairly minor. The differences on track are obvious. 3 years of running the same car the advantage is clearly to Highcroft and the changes to that car have been on-going. Somebody mentioned elsewhere that they were using new bodywork. From what I can tell, its only part of the Le Mans low drag package, the nose of the car is the standard high downforce spec they have been running on the car.

Highcroft gained most of their fuel economy on the yellow flag periods. If you go back to Le Mans, Strakka was able to go much further on fuel than anybody else in LMP2 along with being the fastest car. The periods of long yellows helped them out tremendously. There is suppose to be some setting in the ECU that allows the engine to fun FULL LEAN without any damage at low speeds.

That and the fact that Simon was putting in his fastest laps of the race leading up to their final stop put the nail in the coffin. 15 second lead on a track that long, almost impossible to make up since the Lola's only advantage was on the straights.