View Single Post
Old 19 Mar 2002, 07:00 (Ref:239049)   #1
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Someone no-one has thought of

Regarding McLaren-Mercedes driver line-up for next year, numerous names have been thrown about as to who will line up for the Macs in 2003 and beyond.

Raikkonen appears a dead-cert to still be in the car, as going by his first two performances, he still has plenty to find. So that leaves one car.

Names like DC, Wurz, Panis and Heidfeld (and Hakkinen) have been the names to pop up so far on this forum, but there is one driver, who up to now has been ignored, who could, quite realistically, stand a chance of a Mercedes drive next year, or in the near future at least.

His name:

Mark Webber

Now before you all start laughing and throwing jibes my way, just take note. Mercedes love Webber ever since he drove their sportscars and they were the ones who told him he should abandon sportscars and go race F3000 to achieve his dream of F1.

Also don't forget that Mercedes took a big gamble by taking on Webber, investing much time and effort in him, plus a fair bit of money, while he raced in Formula 3 in Britain, and also when he raced sportscars. And, so far, he has delivered on every promise he has made.

I think it would be rather nice if it came full circle for Webber and he did end up driving another Mercedes powered car (and this one would have little chance of flipping on him).