View Single Post
Old 27 Feb 2010, 12:22 (Ref:2641430)   #25
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper OH View Post
The David Palmer car was mainly run in the ETCC with Holman "Les" Blackburn. This pairing even did the Brands Hatch Group C race late in the year. They continued in Group C in 1983 with a Mazda rotary engined Harrier C Junior becoming the first ever team to enter the catagory.

Here in Denmark Preben Kristoffersen raced an RX-7 beginning in 1981, but only by late 1982 had he got the car up to speed, which allowed him to win the national title in 1983.

Jesper
Was Palmer's day job something fairly senior at Mazda UK- head of marketing or something like that from vague memory? He certainly seems to have appeared a lot in Mazda, or at least Mazda-engined cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper OH View Post
The Palmer/Blackburn car was red - a color shot from that Brands Hatch meeting mentioned, made it into one of Janos Wimpffen's picture appendixes to "Time and Two Seats".
Discovered that Palmer was driving this white RX-7 during the 1985 Donington 500 and wonder if it is the same as the '82 car:
http://homepage.mac.com/frank_de_jon...Donington.html

The Gordon Bruce car is descriped as being ready wery late for the first round at Silverstone sporting "a delicate shade of grey primer". This seems to have been the only race Bruce did.

Mike Kimpton was the only RX-7 entry for the Donington July race, so it must be him in the white/yellow/blue car. I have found a note on this entry as being #30 Electroplan Racing.

Jesper
The white car at Donington in '85 was entered by Jeff Williamson Rallying, and the entry seems to have been very much a one-off- it wasn't seen at any other race that season, and I don't recall Williamson being a BTCC entrant at any point- Could it be the ex-Palmer car, or one of the other UK-based cars? Hamish Irvine had one as late as 1984, which I think was the last RX7 to start a BTCC race

The info from the preview a few posts back lists Terry Nightingale as #30- was Kimpton using Nightingale's car at Donington, or is it simply a coincidence of race numbers?